ABS has done a major recruitment drive during 2015 and made some major inroads in increasing gender diversity.
43% of women are in senior executive roles as compared to 21% in 2014.
How did they do it?
A few things. First, they introduced new recruitment measures – removing names and genders from CVs. The other thing they did, They asked women what they wanted.
They started designing jobs that met the needs of employees: with flexibility, work from home options, and the ability to work from another office. Hiring staff were directed not to make assumptions about what women want and to encourage women to apply.
Looking to hire women? OR, looking to increase flexibility requirements in your workplace?
A few tips:
- Cut the assumptions.
- Ask female AND male candidates about their ideal working scenario.
- Make the shortlist ‘blind’
- Address language on the job description
- Take a good, hard look at your company website.
- Create a gender-balanced interviewing panel.
- Introduce a formal mentoring scheme.
- Show you’re committed to hiring women by offering great entitlements.
FlexConnect equips and empowers Organisations, Managers & Employees for Flexibility. Take our diagnostic to see how you’re equipped for flexibility.